Entry level desktop electron microscope
Pure from Thermo Fischer Scientific
The Phenom Pure desktop scanning electron microscope (SEM) is an ideal entry-level tool. It is equipped with a 4-quadrant backscattered electron detector to reach a resolution ≤30 nm (measured at gold with 5 kV and 6 mm working distance) and a magnification up to 30000x.
The key to the high performance is the combination of components: robust electron optics, high-brightness electron source (CeB6), patented sample container and an intuitive user interface.
The Phenom Pure is upgradeable to a Pure+ with variable acceleration voltages 4,8 – 10 kV to reach a resolution of <20 nm (at gold, max. magnification 60.000x) or even Phenom Pro or Phenom ProX (EDX). It can then be equipped with an SE detector.
|Resolution ≤ 30 nm, magnification range from 70x – 30000x|
|Long-lifetime high-brightness source (CeB6)|
|Acceleration voltage 5 kV|
|Integrated digital microscope (20x) for easy navigation|
|Sample loading time less than 30 seconds with motorized X/Y-axis|
Phenom ProSuite (Option)
The Phenom Pro Suite was developed to enable Phenom users to extract maximum information from images made with the Phenom desktop scanning electron microscope (SEM)
- Automated Image Mapping: Enables automated collection of multiple images in a regular grid
- Remote User Interface: Enables the users to access the Phenom desktop SEM from a different location
- 3D Roughness Reconstruction (option): For generation of three-dimensional images and sub-micrometer roughness visualization
- ParticleMetric (option): Fully automated measurements and visual exploration of nano scaled particles
- Porometric (option): Allows the user to gather data on distribution of pores and pore parameters like pore size and aspect ratio
- Fibermetric (option): Automated and accurate size information from micro and nano fiber samples
Phenom Sample Holders
All Phenoms (beside Phenom XL) are delivered with the standard sample holder. Optimized for best imaging results and able to accommodate 3D samples mounted on standard sample pin stubs.
Optional Sample Holders
- Charge Reduction Sample Holder: Designed to reduce sample charging and eliminate extra sample preparation of non-conductive samples
- Metallurgical Sample Holder (also available in charge reduction version): This holder is designed to support resin-mounted samples and is the preferred solution for metallurgy and when working with inserts
- Tilt & Rotation Sample Holder (ProSuite necessary): The Motorized Tilt & Rotation Sample Holder allows analysis of the sample from all visible sides and enables a unique 3D image of your sample. The Motorized Tilt & Rotation Sample holder is a so-called smart sample holder that does not have any cables attached
- Temperature Controlled Sample Holder (-25 °C to +50 °C): This active sample holder is based on the Peltier principle and designed in a way that the temperature can be adjusted quickly and easily. This minimizes the effect of the electron beam and vacuum damage of the samples
The backscattered electron detector can be operated in either material contrast or topography contrast mode
The Charge reduction mode minimizes charging and beam damage of isolating and fragile samples
“The application of the table top SEM instead of an optical microscope allowed to extent the magnification range beyond the typical light-optical limit of 1000x, to collect more information about the sample due to the backscattered electron signal (topo and compositional information) and to maintain simple device operation supporting a quick micro structural sample characterization at reasonable costs.”
Mark Kappertz, Micro-/nanostructure diagnostics working group, Institute of Energy Research, Research Center Jülich GmbH (FZJ) in Germany
Click here for full report.